Friday, May 7, 2010

Service Learning

Today Cooper and I spent 5 hours on his first grade field trip to the Bountiful Pond. One of the neat things his Charter School teaches is Service learning. All year he has been learning about conservation and the environment. Water conservation, landfills, recycling, reduce, and reuse. It has been fun but also a lot of work making sure all the light bulbs in our house are the "curly" ones, and that EVERY piece of paper and plastic is recycled. I have also begun using reusable grocery bags, which I highly recommend!








The Park and Recreation department came and made compost flower beds for the kids to plant flowers.









We then walked 1.5 miles around the pond picking up trash. Or as you can see, Cooper preferred to wave a stick around. Perhaps fishermen are lazy and litter like you wouldn't believe. The kids were fishing soda bottles out of the pond, cigarette butts, and all manner of trash from with in reeds.








I love being with Cooper and am so glad I could go. And for John who asked if I am showing yet, YES. My gut is definitely smooshing out over my maternity pants. What a joy.

5 comments:

Sheralie said...

You look cute :) And I love the mountains behind you!

Jeff & Melissa said...

You look adorable! It looks like a fun trip :)

The Roy Family said...

Love the "gut." You look fabulous sister! At least you're past the "is she pregnant or just fat?" phase... :)

Jason and Audrey said...

You're so darling. I love your tiny tummy!

Quiggle said...

Your so good to be going "green". I refuse to be told what light bulbs I can and can't use. I hate the darn energy saving ones. I better stock pile the others.
Looks like a fun field trip for the kids.