
My good friend and neighbor, Valie, offered to do this for us, as she delivered 7 of her own babies naturally, and she loved every minute of it.
Tuesday morning the 17th, I woke up at 3 am with a hard contraction. I fell right back to sleep. This continued all morning, a contraction would wake me, but I would fall right back to sleep. Finally at 6:30 am I decided to get up and stop this false labor. But instead of stopping, the contractions became more irregular but more painful. By 9 am by the advice of my Mom, we decided to get a babysitter and go in to the hospital to be checked. Is this labor or not? Should I send Spence to work or not?
I was surprised to find out I was dilated to 6 cm. Why were my contractions all over the place? 5 minutes then 10 then 15 minutes apart. Frustrating. My doctor wanted to come in and break my water, but we decided to call Valie and start walking the halls so my pain would increase gradually and not instantly. This picture of me happy and chilling out is what it really was like. We sat and walked and joked around.
After 3 hours of trying to jump start my labor, I was only at 7 cm with contractions 7 minutes apart. My breathing, focus and pain management was working, and we were playing around more than working. Valie was instrumental in relieving my back pain, and keeping me focused. She also timed my contractions and recorded all the different positions we used. Spence was entertaining us by playing with the tennis balls I had brought for pressure points on my back, and enjoying the soda machine.

If you know me well, you know I am not patient. We called the Dr at this point because I was ready for my baby. As soon as he broke my water I had 3 contractions 2 minutes apart and then the contractions never stopped. There was no relief or time to recover. My body instantly hit a wall of pain. I could only sit and lean on Spence as I almost passed out, then puked and then could not move. Valie was amazing as she directed Spence and herself to get me through the end.

Maggie was born 45 minutes after my water broke. It seems like a distant memory already. I told Valie right after how horrible pushing Maggie out had been, mostly because my body was so paralysed in pain that I had little control over it. But now I understand what went right and what did not work, and what I would do differently next time. It was an incredible experience to have between Spence and I. It was also wonderful to be taken care of by a caring and supportive friend.
Maggie Ann Winegar
6 lbs 3 oz
18 1/2 inches
8 comments:
Beautyfull. Perfect. Way to go Julie and Spence. What a special experience for you two. So happy for you all. :)
Congratulations!!! She's beautiful.
Congrats Julie!!!
Congrats. We are so happy for you. She is beautiful and look at all that gorgeous hair. Love it!
Congrats! It's amazing how much the end of labor hurts, way to hang in there and get through it!!!!!!! You are so strong. I am so glad everyone is home safe and sound.
Love the story, reminds me a lot of my #2 child's labor. I think breaking the water sometimes is a double edged sword? Anyways, I am proud of you for looking into the Bradley method, it really has worked for us :)
u r amazin! she is beautiful!
I know this is late, but congratulations! She is beautiful (love that hair!) and I'm glad you were able to make your birth the kind you wanted (mostly). Have a great Christmas!
Post a Comment