Thursday, August 26, 2010

OK Friends

Update: after more research, we make just a few dollars too much for WIC....that helps with the decision!

With the addition of Maggie to our brood, we now qualify for WIC and reduced school lunch.

School lunch costs $10 a week for Cooper, and he does buy it. He likes it and I HATE packing his lunch by 7:45 in the morning. It is worth it to me to not have to worry about having kid food in the pantry. Reduced school lunch would only be $1.50 a week. A $34 savings a month!

I do not know what benefits we would qualify for with WIC, and I am tempted to make an appointment just to find out, but really? A family owning a home, 2 cars, a cat, and summer vacations should be able to afford food right? And if not, they should get rid of cable or something, right?

So, what to do. Leave our good tax dollars with the government for someone who is really destitute, or take advantage of what the system is offering.

Any thoughts?

5 comments:

Niki said...

We did WIC when we were in graduate school but we were truly poor then. I don't think there is anything wrong with going on WIC if you qualify for it and need it. It really is a great program.

Sheralie said...

We have been on WIC as well.... you get a lot of milk and some canned veg/stuff, some cheese and juice. It was really helpful to us to keep our grocery bill down. But then you have to add another place to go every week or two. I don't regret doing it.

Scott and Sara said...

I think if you NEED it, do it!!

Ginger said...

We are currently on WIC. It is a pain at the grocery store and people glare at you because it takes forever to check out and I feel like I'm judged every time I go to the store but we pay taxes just like everyone else and we are working towards bettering ourselves, so why wouldn't I take advantage of a program that can help us when we need it? I think you should take advantage of it. It's not like you are just sitting around looking for a handout. It can be a pain but it will save you a lot of money, that's why these programs are in place. If you have any questions about it feel free to message me:) Love ya!

Jason and Audrey said...

Amen, sista! I feel the same, Julie. I was talking to jason recently and said: "why is money so tight, if you are doing great in your job, and I feel like we are barely making it!?" and he said: "we are barely above poverty level,what are you talking about?!" I am wondering the same things right now. Should I, or should I not? hmm...we did it when Jason was in school, and stopped as soon as he graduated, even though we still qualified. So, I don't nkow either. Good answer to your question, huh?!