Friday, May 13, 2011

How great shall be your joy



And if it so be that ye should labor all your days and bring but one soul unto me...

I never saw motherhood as missionary work. I did not realize I would be laboring in the Lords vineyard right now. But I am. The most important missionary work we can do as women is within the walls of our own homes. I love this picture of my parents with Cooper. 33 years ago the missionaries knocked on their door and brought the gospel to our family. Here they are years later with 3 grandchildren becoming members of the church. Because of 2 missionaries seeking those who need the gospel.

I was not prepared for my feelings after Cooper's baptism. Before it, I was a busy annoying Mom preparing him. We had begun regular morning scripture study. We had prepared him for the Holy Ghost. For being immersed in the water. For Fasting. My mind was always thinking of what to teach next. And then he was baptised. My preparing was complete.

Cooper ate so much junk food at the baptism that he was sick that night. The following Sunday we kept him home from Church in case it was the flu. May was the first fast Sunday which Cooper could fast. Saturday evening at bed time we discussed what Cooper need to fast for. He decided to fast for help with his Book Report due in 2 weeks. He was really stressed out about the due date rapidly approaching. He was too embarrassed to open with a fast prayer and he was scared about what to say, so I taught him by praying aloud for him. We discussed that because he is young we only expected him to fast until lunch, but he could drink water. Sunday morning Cooper told us he was not going to eat or drink until dinner.

Cooper taught me one of my most valuable lessons that day. Heavenly Father has given his children commandments. It is not up to me, the parent, to give my child permission to not follow God's commandments. Cooper desired to obey the commandment. He only made it until 1 pm, but I was so impressed by his desire to obey the law.

The joy of the first newborn placed in a mother's arms is surreal. And now, watching and teaching my first born to LOVE God and look to Christ is even more joyful.

I now see my role as a latter day mother differently. I am raising future missionaries, mothers and church leaders. It is not enough to raise children to survive in this world. They need to be raised up unto the Lord. To have the habits in place they will need as adults. Fasting, asking for a remission of their sins, studying the words of the Lord, participating in church ordinances. All of these are on my mind constantly. What should we be doing? Have we forgotten to recognize the hand of God in our day? Bringing my first child to the waters of baptism has brought me so much joy. I can only imagine being able to bring all my children to Christ and gathering them together with me in the eternities.

It is not easy. It is exhausting. It is labor, and it feels like it consumes all my day and time. Yet I look forward to having the joy which comes from it.

My favorite scripture and daily mission:.

2 Nephi 25:26 And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins.

3 comments:

real-life said...

Thank You!I struggle to express things but you do it so well. I feel the same way. Thanks!

Niki said...

What a great mom you are! Congrats Cooper! Adam will be there soon and we are in the busy prep-stage.

Jeff & Melissa said...

Congrats to all of you...I just got all caught up. You have been busy and seem to be having a blast :)