Thursday, September 10, 2009

Cooper and Politics


Spence and I had a hard decision to make last Tuesday.... Do we let Cooper watch the Obama speech at school? (dun dun dun, scary music begins) Without getting in to our political views, we frankly did not know what to do!


The media was making such a fuss about it. After some contemplation we told Cooper we do not agree with some of the laws the President wants to make, but that he was going to talk to the kids in an assembly at school about learning. At first he thought Obama was coming to his school! That was a great face of awe. But after explaining, he was OK with it ONLY on TV.


As I sat at home I realized this was Cooper's first assembly at school and it was probably exciting to leave class and the boring school work. It was probably really cool for him. I began to watch the speech on CSPAN, it was exciting! All the kids were cheering the President, and then he spoke... I soon realized I made the wrong decision! Imagine a 6 year old, sitting and watching the most boring man for 16 minutes! I was so distracted by my email, that I realized I was not paying attention. The poor kid, if I was bored, this was probably worse than watching General Conference for him! I was starting to get nervous that he may be so bored that he would get it trouble for wiggling and talking and who knows what else.


That night I tried to get Cooper to tell me how it was. After 3 days of prying this is the jist of what happened:

We left class and went in. Then it was really short and the TV stopped and was all jumpy. Then we went back to class. Then we went back and watched it again.

Me: Was it long?

Cooper: No, it was only like 2 minutes.


After all this political debate and moral decision about letting our child watch Obama address our nations impressionable children at school, it turns out that at least first grade did not watch the entire program and most likely had some technical difficulties.


I am chuckling right now. Our first big political statement and it turned out to be no big deal at all.

2 comments:

Richard and Marianne said...

That is a relief! So glad Cooper took the happenings in stride. And of course, like a normal child, was unaware of his parents inner struggle, on his behalf! :)

The Prigmore Family said...

Great parenting my friend.