Friday, November 20, 2009

New Moon

This guest post hit me yesterday morning and I could not get to the computer fast enough to type it up. Last Friday I decided to reread New Moon, and got sucked in to Eclipse, and I now have only 10 pages left in Breaking Dawn. This is the 4th time I have read this series, and I cannot believe how fun they still are! I hope you like and can relate to my thoughts. Thanks Meg for giving me an outlet!


I am 29. In one month I will be 30. My bestest girl friend just turned 29 and is freaking out a little about this. Our lives are ruled by responsibility and repetition. We are feeling a little down about this. We have both been married 9 years, and are stay at home Moms raising our children. At this stage of motherhood the only way to shake things up is to get involved and feel a sense of accomplishment. Some join the PTA, others a book club, many get a part time job just to get out of the house. But what about stirring up the emotions in us which we felt while young? This good friend of mine actually told me we needed to ask a single 21 year old what she does for fun. Yes, we are that pathetic.

I read a comment on Facebook by a friend that she was totally annoyed by all this New Moon hype. I had similar feelings about the Twilight Movie release (I was still a little in denial). But this time I feel differently. What makes grown women attend a midnight showing of a movie geared toward teenage girls? What makes them wear t-shirts proudly announcing “Bite me Edward”? I will tell you why. It is fun. It is not because I am obsessed over the characters. It is because of the emotions it stirs up inside of me. I WANT my heart to race over something other than being late for carpool. And I can relate to the themes in the books.

Twilight: Falling in love, a forbidden love.
New Moon: Being dumped, loving 2 men.
Eclipse: Choosing between 2 good lovers, cheating on your boyfriend with fiery hot kisses.
Breaking Dawn: Getting Married, Honeymoon, Pregnancy, Childbirth, fighting to keep your family.

I have experienced ALL these events, and let me tell you, it is sure fun to live these events over again. To feel all these complicated and deep emotions through a book is awesome! I love escaping my responsible life to feel like a young desirable girl again. Is that wrong? I don’t think so if every movie theater across the US are sold out for opening day weeks in advance.

You know what a single 21 year old does for fun? She screams over hot boys on the cover of magazines, dreams about kissing the sexiest man alive, and goes to midnight premiers of movies. She doesn’t worry about the 5 AM feeding of her 6 month old baby, or packing her kid’s lunch for school. She throws that all to the wind and giggles in the theater with her girlfriends waiting for the show to start. And that is how I feel alive. I embrace silly experiences to feel young again.

6 comments:

Jeff & Melissa said...

Great post Julie! It seems we have all the same feelings when we're 29 turning 30 :)

It's nice to have something to escape to every now and then and whether it's silly vampire books that no one else understands or getting a massage once in awhile, we all should have an outlet. Happy moms are better moms!

Niki said...

I agree completely. Just because I'm a mom and almost 30 I still want to have fun and relax with the girls now and again. I went opening night and loved it.

UtahJenny said...

Ok, so I haven't bitten from the Twilight apple (yet) ... I can totally agree that it is so great to have something other than being late for carpool get your heart pounding - hahaha ... seriously - too funny. We all need something to do that for us, I cannot disclose mine, but yes, I have one, but I am choosing to maintain my dignity and keep that under wraps!!! ;)


So, if you start showing up late, I'll know you just needed a little excitement in your day - I'm good with that!

Marci said...

I love the honesty. Sometimes I feel like I can't be myself anymore just because I am a 30 year old stay at home mom. So what if I want to feel pationately in love, is that so wrong? It's not like I expect it every minute of every day. :)

Quiggle said...

Julie,
I have never been able to put into words what I am feeling about the whole Twilight obsession. You said exactly what I couldn't put into words! Loved the post.

Kamee said...

I want to act like a 21 year old again. Watch out -- this might be one of my New Years Resolutions: To have some 21 year old moments this year!