Recently we noticed that The Friend Magazine has a great website, featured on page 24 of the May issue. Cooper enjoyed playing the matching game on Sunday. I love free computer games that are good for the kids!
I have a weird issue with modesty. Until I was married, I really enjoyed wearing immodest clothes and bathing suites, and I LOVED fun bras and underwear (who doesn't? hooray for lingerie!). When Savannah was born, I had to decided when I would dress her modestly and question what are the rules for kids and modesty? Where do you draw the line and when? Luckily, Spence and I were scared silly by a genetic counselor about her albinism. We were told she should always be covered head to toe in clothing while outside. The first year we tried to, and now I keep her as covered as the weather will allow, and slathered in sunscreen. She is more susceptible to skin cancer, and I will not be blamed if she gets cancer at a young age!
This is a touchy subject, and Mothers have the right to personal revelation for their own children. The Friend had an article titled Modesty at Any Age, page 8 of the May issue, of which I am very grateful for. Sleeveless dresses and tanktops are so in style, and Moms tend to say, "It is just too hot to have my toddler in a t-shirt." But at what age do you commit to modesty and when do you draw the line? What is right for your family?
I felt great peer pressure to attend BYU, and actually sabotaged my admittance to BYU because I did not want to be caught dead or alive in knee length shorts or a one piece swim suit. I know how it feels to be a teenager and to feel beautiful and attractive. And immodest prom dresses and daisy duke shorts were part of that equation for me.
I love what it teaches in the article, and it gives me a dialogue to follow when teaching Savannah. It says: "What does it mean to be modest?"
"Being modest means dressing in a way that shows Heavenly Father we respect our bodies."
If you are a Mom struggling with your decision, check out this simple story, It helped me stick to my guns!
5 comments:
Way to go Julie. We also read that article and luckily Anna knows and follows modest dress standards on her own (at least for now). It was a good reminder.
It's always tricky with kids but I've found I'm much more modest now with Ashley than I was as a teenager. In fact, Ashley has 1 girl in her class that wears camisole tanks as an actual shirt and skirts that barely fit over her bum. They are so short, even other 2nd graders comment on them. I feel so embarrassed for her parents but also question how they let her out of the house dressed that way. I always make Ashley wear leggings underneath skirts and dresses and the only tank tops she wears have the wide straps. Even her bathings suits are the tankinis with board shorts. Who knew I was going to be such a prude!
Thank you so much for your honesty! I struggle with the same thing but hate to admit it. Just this weekend Doug told me he "misses my tank tops." My mom never taught me about modesty and I wish she would have. I'm really not sure what the right age is but I am hoping if I start dressing Ava in modest clothing early it won't be as hard for her when she "needs" to dress modestly later.
I noticed the article too. It is incredibly hot and humid here but I have given away all of Lucy's tank tops. I guess I can still hear my father's voice in my head and it has helped me many times when I have had to make clothing choices. I suppose the question for me is also the age, and when to draw the line. And I can't figure it out when it would be easier than now... Our bishop here actually came into Primary and told all the girls to wear sleeves and the boys needed ties, etc. Rather funny.
Julie - Thanks for sharing this. In the past I was one of those moms who said "it was just sooo hot!" So I'd let me girls wear tank tops. I knew it would be easier to teach my girls while they were young and not try to change standards on them when they became teenagers. But to be honest, it was harder for ME than on my girls to get rid of tank tops from their closet. I'm not sure why. It wasn't until I read the For Strength of Youth pamphlet again, and prayed, that I was humbled. It's such a small and simple thing and yet it can be amazingly hard. My girls are so eager to be obedient and please Heavenly Father. It's no wonder it's easier to set the standard now. Thanks for posting this article. It's reassuring to know that I'm not the only "modesty crazy" mom out there. ;)
Post a Comment