Sunday, December 26, 2010

Christmas

I was feeling overwhelmed this Christmas season. Our schedule was booked, and decorating seemed too hard. So we put up a minimal table tree, some lights, a small Christmas village and we were set. We chose a VERY small budget for each child. This gave me the first opportunity to MAKE gifts for them. For Spence I made peanut brittle as my heart felt gift. That stuff is hard to make for a first timer, but it was something unexpected, and that he loves.

For the 3 big kids I chose and printed 36 pictures each from 2010 just of them. It covered school projects, summer sports, vacations and just them being silly. I put them in little small albums for each. The kids love being the center of attention in their own albums. Once again: simple, thoughtful and happy. I avoided the flashy gifts this year and went with the lasting memories.

Christmas this year was spent with Spencer's family. We had a great Christmas Eve celebration, complete with presents and Nativity play, and a visit from Santa. The kids had a great time with their cousins, and of course presents!

Christmas day was different for us this year. We had fun opening presents with the kids. Their excitement was contiguous. Now as a family of 6, it feels official. Spence and I are seeing our family through new eyes.

We had the day basically to ourselves. So after a quick brunch with Spence's parents we headed to visit his Grandma. She lives a block away from us in a care home. She has dementia. She did not know who we were, but she was very tender and sweet with Maddux and Savannah.



I loved teaching my children to think of others on the birth day of our Savior. Next we headed to visit our elderly neighbors John and Mary. They have a small family which seldomly visits. They are lonely and quiet. They enjoyed our company, and the kids performed a great Jingle Bells rendition for them. We laughed and shared stories. They give their friendship freely to us. And Maggie indulged Mary with smiles and giggles. We love them.
Christmas felt like love this year. Instead of being lonely and looking for a party, we sought out others to share our love with. It was a simple and quiet day. But I think I learned more about Christ's compassion and mercy this year. Which made the season bright.

2 comments:

Niki said...

Sounds like a wonderful Christmas to me!

Sheralie said...

Thank you for this. I am finally catching up on blogging! But I love hearing about your day. Mine was lousy, probably because I wasn't being unselfish like your family. Love it. Very inspired.