At general conference this year Elder Eyring asked the Church world wide to organize a day of service within their wards. Ours was on Saturday June 25th. I was the RS representative there, and in charge of overseeing 3 humanitarian projects. Hygiene kits, making file folder games for children, and quilts.
At 8 am the ward gathered for the best breakfast burritos ever made by Karen Nelson and her small crew. Then the young women opened up the nursery for 3 hours while adults went to designated homes in the ward. They pulled out overgrown bushes, trimmed trees, hauled away unwanted items, painted a house, washed windows, weeded and so much more. Spencer went with a group of his deacons to 3 different homes pulling out bushes and trees and weeds.
I assembled 2 quilts on to frames, helped with breakfast clean up and tried to watch my own kids. When Maggie needed a nap at 10, Heidi took the 3 youngest home to put her down for a nap. Cooper stayed and helped with his Cub Scout den. They took down 11 tables, chairs and table clothes. They took out the trash and ran around like hyper boys do. I suggested to the den leader that they come a try tying the quilt. Cooper and Will loved it! They both want to make their own quilt now. I think we will save that project for winter. After I was finished at the church building at noon, Cooper still wanted to help serve. He went with Spencer's group and dug weeds. We are so proud of him and his willingness to serve.
I love the feeling service brings. I loved teaching my kids about service in our own neighborhood. Seeing the hope and love in single older sisters in the ward as the youth helped them with projects too hard for them was so rewarding. I know they felt taken care of by their Savior in their projects of need.
No comments:
Post a Comment