Thursday, March 22, 2012

Tender Mercies

The end of January at parent teacher conferences concern over Savannah's reading was addressed. She was well below benchmark and falling behind rapidly. We were given assignments and tips for homework. We worked hard but it did not seem to help.

A month later in February a friend of a friend told me about a girl in her Stake who also has Albinism. We were put in contact. Megan is 15 and an incredible advocate for Albinism, as is her mother Marla. They came over to meet Savannah and answer all our questions about everything related to living with Albinism.

We have always told Savannah she does not see well and the family has prayed daily for her to see better. It had never seemed the right time to talk about Albinism and tell her this is why she struggled. On the Sunday Megan was coming over to meet us we sat her and Cooper down to talk about Albinism. Cooper was stunned Savy was born with a disability. Savannah was sad and hurt. She did not want to talk and left the room. Later we were able to try again and draw pictures of her eyes and explain why she saw differently than us.

Meeting Megan was exactly what Savannah needed to feel confident and OK with Albinism. Megan brought some of her tools and her iPad to show Savannah what she does to see better. Savannah asked Megan what she saw. It was heart breaking and touching to see my little girl I have cried over for years meet someone she could relate to.

All the stress and fear I have felt over Savannah's present struggles and future were calmed. It all now seemed manageable. Marla had volunteered Megan to come speak in school to the First Graders about Albinism. Here is the 45 minute video:  Megan and Savannah

I love that Savannah has Megan to claim as her friend and Mentor. I feel loved and taken care of by my Heavenly Father who has heard my pleas and answered them in such a real and powerful way. Marla is an involved advocate for the blind and visually impaired. She believes strongly in Mentors. Having her for a friend and resource has opened opportunity to knowledge and help I need.

Marla was able to attend Savannah's IEP. We put a plan in place for next year I feel confident with. Savannah has started braille again. I am worried about everything but that is my place as her Mom.

Since Savannah was diagnosed 6 years ago the Atonement has become something so much more real. I have cried every time I read about the Savior blessing little children or healing.  I have plead for Him to heal my baby girl. I do not want to wait until the Resurrection to claim this power from Him. As we read the Scriptures every night I feel Savannah begin to understand Christ's power. She notices when the sick or blind are healed. She notices when at conference an Apostle spoke of the disabled. It is hard to teach my daughter about her disability but so comforting to know of the healing power of the Atonement. I feel the responsibility heavily yet know I do not have to bear it alone. This month has been a pivotal moment in Savannah's life. I am so grateful it was orchestrated so beautifully.

1 comment:

AJ and Cindy said...

I had no idea she had any sort of disability, thanks for sharing this tender mercy, I needed to read about this today. You are such a good mom, Savannah is so blessed to have you!