Last night he came to me frustrated. In hand was the magic box and a toy inside.
"Mom, I am trying to make this toy disappear, but it is not!"
Me: "Well, you can't do magic." This should not be breaking news, he is 5.
Coop: "How do you do magic?"
Me: "Well, you have to go to magic school."
I decided not to crush his belief in magic, and just delay the truth.
Last Halloween Coop and Sav pretended to make a toy disappear out of this little pumpkin decoration. It was so fun to see the kids get in to the Halloween spirit. Siblings are just funny.
When Spence and I were first dating I had all sorts of questions about Utah and Salt Lake City. I would often ask random questions, and he would answer. I soon caught on that he was just making stuff up, he really didn't know the answers.
I feel like this as a parent. I just make stuff up. I try to give a proper explanation to a question, but most of the time I tell the kid what he wants to hear, or anything else to satisfy their curiosity. I am now thinking this is probably bad parenting as Cooper is older. I just hope my mush Mom brain knows all the answers!
This picture is from last year. Savy is so cute I just had to throw it in!
4 comments:
I feel for your plight! Why crush our children's spirits with reality so early? I think partial truths are ok for kids... you can always give them the whole picture later. If it makes you feel better, I actually went to a magic school as a kid (an after school program) where we learned all kinds of cool tricks. So you didn't lie to Cooper.. they just may not offer that anymore. If he's still into magic when he's older, maybe I could pass along my tricks to him! :)
I totally agree with you and I can't get over how much Savi looks just like you!!!
I couldn't agree more - we have to make up lots of stuff as parents. Not bad parenting at all!!!
How do you think my dad got the name "Fountain of All Knowledge?" He knows a lot, it's true, but the rest is all made up. :)
Post a Comment