
These are the Handkerchiefs Spence and I took to the Draper, Utah Temple Dedication Broadcast. They have a bit of history.
I was 13 in 1993 when the San Diego Temple was dedicated. My Mother had hankies made for every member of our family to take with us to the dedication. Embroidered on it is the S.D. Temple, with it's name, and mine.
Spencer's Handkerchief was his maternal Grandfather's, Henry Warner Hoopes. After he passed away in 1999, Spence was given this hankie. His Grandpa always had a hankie on him, and he used them. It was part of who he was.
I remember as a 13 year old, helping at the San Diego Temple Open House. As a youth group, we put booties on visitor's feet. It was very exciting to serve. Our ward was very involved. We were asked to memorize the Hymn, "The Spirit of God", for the dedication. We practiced it as a Ward every Sunday in Sacrament Meeting for months. We would all stand as we sang, and I would feel the electricity in the room.
When my family attended the Temple Dedication we sat in a Sealing room. I remember being sad I was not closer to the Apostles. It was one of my first times being in the same building as an Apostle of the Lord, as we lived far away from the Church Headquarters in Utah. When it came time for the Hosanna Shout I waved my hankie and felt the Spirit. When we sang the Hymn, "The Spirit of God", I knew this was the true Church of God. I gained a testimony of the blessing of the Temple.
Tonight I was reminded of this. As I listened to the Apostles of God speak about the purpose of the Temple and the blessings found therein, I was so grateful for the knowledge the gospel brings. I am so grateful for my Eternal Marriage. I am so grateful to have my children born under that covenant. What a gift to be given.

As I stood and said the Hosanna Shout tonight, I felt the same electricity as 1993. It shot through me. To quote words from the hymn that followed, "The veil o'er the earth is beginning to burst." The Spirit of God was there, the veil was thin. His Temple was being dedicated to Him, and to the work to further His kingdom. It felt wonderful. A thought in my mind told me of the Second Coming of Christ. When He comes again to the earth, will I pull out my hankie and shout Hosanna. Will I be ready for His coming. Will I stand with the Angels and rejoice. I have a renewed desire to be.
4 comments:
Inspiring story, thank you for sharing.
My mom bought the same San Diego Temple hankies for us when it was dedicated. I remember when it was dedicated and helping out too. That's cool you got to go to another dedication.
The spirit is a powerful thing, and I am so grateful for it. Thanks for sharing your with me!
Beautiful post, Julie. What a great reminder of the blessings that temples are.
Post a Comment