Friday, September 18, 2009

A Conversation with Cooper about Olivia

Setting: Last night during homework at the kitchen table with the entire family present.

Cooper (very excited and proud): Oh, I almost forgot to tell you! There is a girl at school that loves me. (he is just incredulous)

(Spence and I look at each other with interest and smiles) Who is it?

Olivia!

Spence and I are now chuckling and amused.

How did you find that out?

Her friend Abby told me that she thinks I'm cute and she wants to kiss me!

Now we are stunned and speechless. Then we just laugh. Neither of us knew what to say. (I was picturing a group of girls on the playground, sending the brave loyal friend Abby over to the boy group, to declare Olivia's love to Cooper. So classic, first grade romance. Watch out Valentines Day)

My initial thoughts:

  • The poor girl! Cooper is going to be mean and most likely hurt her feelings
  • We need to have the boyfriend girlfriend rules conversation

The conversation continued with Cooper deciding he did not want to kiss her. But that he needs to be nice and not hurt her feelings and be a good friend.

I then came up with an ingenious idea that we do not kiss until we are 16, and that the Prophet has asked us not to (that's right, I pulled the Prophet guilt trip card on a 6 year old). I then needed a more practical reason which Cooper could relate to. He is a germophobe. So I told him every one has germs, so we do not kiss. He was more understanding of that answer.

Cooper got back to work on his Math. He then looked up and decided, "Dad when I'm 16, I still don't want to kiss girls."

That one just cracked us up. There was no holding back now.

And by the way, Cooper wants to live with us always and when he gets married him and his wife are living in our basement, with the Wii and Xbox since they are ours and he cannot take them with him. He is so afraid to grow up and leave us. Which I think is totally an appropriate feeling for his age. I cannot wait to tease him about it when he does get engaged!

Today it occurred to me I should have asked Cooper what he thought of Olivia. I just assumed he had no interest in girls. So I asked him after school what he thought of her. He was annoyed by the question and said he did not like her. But then profoundly bragged, "She thinks I'm cute and she wants to kiss me!"

This girl thing is doing wonders for his self esteem. But hopefully this blows right by...

8 comments:

Niki said...

lol, too funny.

Richard and Marianne said...

You and Spence are in for it now, cuz... he IS cute!

The Prigmore Family said...

Look out! Karma baby.

Scott and Sara said...

That is so funny. Cooper is really cute!!

Jeff & Melissa said...

That's hilarious! It's amazing how young it all starts isn't it??

Linda Winegar said...

oh man! that's awesome. I'm glad you told him people have germs. LOL We do! Good thing you didn't say cooties.

The Roy Family said...

Gavin and I discuss weekly who he's going to marry. He's very cncerned about it. Should I be concerned that my 4 year old already knows who he wants to marry??

Tia Langston said...

Teagan thinks when he gets married that they will also live with us ...and his wife will need to wear my jeans. ???