Monday, September 27, 2010

Reflection

Today was the funeral of a deeply loved Sister in our Ward who was only 16 years older than me. She leaves behind a husband and 2 daughters. One is 20, the other is 18 years old. It was a beautiful service, with much laughter, but more tears.

Today I pause to evaluate my life. To reconstruct my priorities. To think that my main burden right now is my weight seems so trivial. I really want to get this baby weight off. I have been debating about hitting the gym hard again, which means loosing my milk supply in the process, or enjoy nursing Maggie for the next 5 months. This means keeping my post pregnancy body, and worrying about it later. What will bring me the most joy, a fit body, or snuggling and feeding my last newborn.




Today gave me much clarity. Last night after the viewing, I came home to read books to my children, and give them tight hugs at bedtime. I am so blessed. I will live in the joy of the moment. I will try my best to shrug off the pressures of motherhood, womanhood, laundress, housekeeper, chauffeur, cook, teacher, playmate, wife, friend, and volunteer.


This Sister was happy with a simple job and simple home. She was happy fulfilling her role as mother and wife. She lived next door to her best friend. She found great joy in the beauties of this earth. She took what God had given her and made it wonderful. This is an example to me of what I can have joy in also.

I serve in the Relief Society with 4 other women in their 50's. I tell them about my sleepless nights and hard afternoons as I help children with their homework while bouncing fussy Maggie in my arms. Every evening my neck and shoulders ache, and my eyes throb. I am tired and hurt. These sisters all gaze at me, envying and missing those days. The days of being needed, of snuggling little ones and being told you are the best mommy ever. I am living the best years of my life right now. I am so glad I have been told that they go too quickly. Today I pray the days will go more slowly to soak up the memories.




This is the gift this late Sister has given me. Clarity in my calling.

6 comments:

real-life said...

I love the reminder. Thanks! Also love the pictures. Priceless!

Niki said...

Thanks for the reminder. I try to remember to just enjoy the kids at this stage and not worry so much about the house other things. I love the pictures of Maggie. So cute.

Richard and Marianne said...

It is hard to stay focused and remember our most important role is that of Mother. Especially when it IS the hardest, most self- sacrificing, trying thing we could ever do in life. Yet, you see the blessings of love your children bring to you. You are a wonderful Mother and I'm so glad the Lord has placed you in this RS calling that helps you to see life thru the eyes of those who have already been in your shoes. Clarity for your life.

Sheralie said...

Really sweet Julie. And you are right, of course. But it gets easy to think that somehow we are in a hurry or need to do it all now. But we don't, and we will never ever get this time back with our little ones. Thanks for your thoughts.

Emily said...

What a wonderful reminder, Thanks Julie!

The Prigmore Family said...

Thanks for this. Stunning photos as well.