We have got a big case of the Christmas Blues at our house. It seems as if everyone is feeling a bit sad, stressed, grumpy, angry, or dissatisfied. Cooper is stressed about all his responsibilities. Savy is wanting to be left alone to play and not be a responsible nice girl. When I asked her today if she wanted to be Baptised this spring she grumpily said "No. I don't want the Holy Ghost." Yeah, we've got the grumpies REAL bad. Maddux is doing a lot of yelling and even bit Savannah this morning. Spence and I are both feeling sad that this is the family life we have created!
In an effort to ward off the Christmas Blues and to bring the Spirit of Baby Jesus into our home we created the Jesus Jar on Dec 2. Christ has given to us the 3 gifts of immortality, forgiveness and eternal life. In return this Christmas Season as a family we will give a gift to Christ every day. Each child has their own Advent calendar with a chocolate for each day. They are to purposefully do an act of kindness or selflessness, write it on a slip of paper to put in the Jar, and they get their chocolate. It is working wonderfully. At one point daily each child gets happy when they realize they have done something good and they race to get their chocolate.
The rest of the day seems to be grouchy and busy. I am trying to keep us on task to avoid conflict. We are doing LOTS of puzzles, watching Christmas movies, and had a kids choice game night.
I brought this game home from a White Elephant exchange. Cooper asked for it and spent an entire Sunday perfecting the hoop swoosh.
Maddux has not been to much school. He and Maggie caught a 12 hr stomach flu. I am content to keep him home to avoid more holiday germs.
Maddux posed next to his ANGEL, the little green one on his shoulder. Too bad his good angel can't stay on his shoulder to whisper happy moods.
Maddux has been wanting to build Frosty the Snowman. Monday morning we attempted Frosty but the snow was too dry to pack. He was sure happy with a real carrot nose. After this picture Maddux needed a smile. I think the rock smile finished Frosty perfectly.
And in true Hulk style Frosty did not need to wait to melt away.
Our kids love sledding and love FHE activities. I thought it would be a great treat to sled Monday night. Unfortunately we could not find Coopers little green sled and ended up having to SHARE. This is a bad word in our family. Heaven forbid we need to share. And the hill was so steep to walk back up! Sledding is not fun.
Savannah and Maggie were happy. Cooper was discouraged like always. Maddux was cold after a fall resulted in a face full of snow so he sat and ate graham crackers.
And to top off the good parenting feelings I noticed that Maggie was developing cavities despite our brushing efforts. Yes, by the 4th child I can spot the decay! She needed to be held down for a cleaning. The dentist wants to wait 6 months before filling them as she would need to be sedated now. Scooby Doo and Cinderella stickers helped her mood a bit.
I just want us to be happy, courteous and thoughtful. I know this is asking a lot. But it has to be possible. My game plan is inspiration from President George Albert Smith. He was a believer in what I call "Killing them with Kindness." I am trying to be helpful and thoughtful to my kids. I took Savannah shopping for a little notebook to help her feel special. I took Cooper shopping on payday to get a new video game WITHOUT SHOPPING AROUND FOR THE BEST PRICE. I know, shocking that I let my child pay full price for instant gratification! I am trying hard to discipline Maddux and Maggie with love instead of anger and give plenty of praise with hugs. Despite this, by evening my "energy" as we call it around here is depleted and I feel another day came and went with no progress. My prayer is that by the day we leave for Christmas in Poway we will have beat the Christmas Blues and our actions will reflect the Spirit of the Christ Child.












No comments:
Post a Comment