Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Undecided

I am totally torn on the H1N1 vaccine. I hate the flu and even worse is taking care of kids with it. I was able to get all 3 kids the flu shot/flumist. I think that is important to attempt to prevent. But with all the controversy on the H1N1 vaccine, I am scared and don't want to risk it. My friends in Lehi have recently suffered from the swine flu. This is what one of them posted on facebook:

It really does suck. Mine started with a bad cough one day, then a fever the next...and then basically I just felt like I'd been hit by a truck. Body hurt, chills, congestion, high fever, really tired. Sickest I've EVER been.

This friends kids also got it. They so far have survived it, but I do not want to go through this! I guess I will just be obsessed with sanitizing the kids all the time and praying we don't catch it. Any of you have any opinions on the vaccine?

10 comments:

The Prigmore Family said...

My opinions are very strong so I won't share them here. But I will say be thankful you have the option.
I called EIGHT doctors offices yesterday to get a regular ol flu shot for choob and NO ONE in san diego has any. None. Can you even believe that? Crazy I tell you.
Good luck and I hope you sail through flu season untouched!

Marci said...

I completely know what you mean. Apparently pregnant women are at the greatest risk but I don't know if I should chance it. There is absolutely no research on wether the vaccine could hurt the fetus. However, getting horribly sick can't be could for me or the baby either. I really don't know what to do.

Luke and Kimmy said...

You may think I'm strange for thinking this, but I'm against it. I often wonder how effective this vaccine will be. It seems like they came up with the vaccine too soon and possibly just to ease the minds of all the people that were making a huge deal about the swine flu...don't get me wrong though, I do belive that the symptoms are real, however I also strongly believe that you can prevent a lot of it. I'm all for the regular flue vaccine. I just question the H1N1 Vaccine.

Jeff & Melissa said...

I am normally all for vaccines but in this case, I too am worried since it's so new. Jaime, I'd love to hear your opinions...email me :) I'm still on the fence although I'm with Jaime...who knows if I can even get it if I want it!

Jessica and Tim said...

I'm probably not a good opinion person on this. I don't believe in the regular flu vaccine, so there's not a large chance I'll get the swine flu, despite that I'm in all the high risk categories. It makes me super nervous that they pushed this vaccine through so fast. It seems too fishy to be accurate.

Ginger said...

I'm also really nervous about getting it! Especially since I am pregnant. At my last Dr.'s appointment my Dr. told me to get a regular flu shot (which I always get) and also to get the H1N1 when it came available. I want to trust my Dr. but it seems too new! I'm going to ask him about it at my next appointment and tell him about my concerns...

Niki said...

I think we'd get it if it comes available here. Mike was sick last week with the flu (swine or otherwise I do not know- probably just regular) and today we all stayed home sick from church. Even little Camille is coughing. If you could avoid it, I would! I dropped the ball and didn't get the regular flu shots in time (they're scheduled next week). We caught it pretty early.

Mary said...

Interesting comments so far. I'll give my opinion which is just that - my opinion.

I took my kids and myself (pregnant) to get it this last week. I stood in line for 2 1/2 hours which is RIDICULOUS! (Another topic)

I hear a lot of people saying they worry about how "new" this vaccine is, and yet I wonder if people realize that the seasonal flu shot is NEW every single year. Each year, new strains are added.
In regards to H1N1 the fact that HEALTHY children and pregnant women are among the most severely affected and at greater risk of death, I think it would be less risky to get the vaccination than risk my kids getting severely sick.

Luckily, last time I checked America is still a free country and we all have the right to choose. :)

The Snead Family said...

I talked with my mom about this the other night... Im all for it-she convinced me:) main reason being that a lot of moms are scared that it is "new" and they cant trust it- totally understandable....but all over the news doctors are saying there is NOTHING wrong with the vaccination....to get it! when it is available here im gonna get it for all three of us! i really think this flu is going to hit hard when it hits, and people will be sorry they didnt get it when they could have. just my opinion!

The Snead Family said...

one more thing! off subject! you know the preeces?? i LOVE mikey! we went to school at byu-idaho and him and his wife are adorable, and their new little addition:) how do you know them?