They are feeling so pent up inside all day. Our deck provides some entertainment. Maddux is excellent at scattering toys all over the yard.
So we have taken to wagon rides when the energy is too much, or when Maggie is a handful.
They are content to sit until Maddux wants to pick dandelions, or push the wagon. When we are almost home Maggie get a turn to push the wagon. She thinks she is big stuff.
A most unusual event occurred on our walk. As we were returning home on main, we uncountered two elderly women on a walk. We passed them by. I noticed one woman help the other hold on to a street sign pole, then rush to her car down the side street. I was just getting Maggie out of the wagon to push us along, when I saw the woman fall in to the bushes.
I was confused but came to see what had happened. She was disoriented and confused. She was in a rose bush and I was concerned about possible injuries so I helped her to her feet. Maggie was beginning to walk to the busy road. So I rushed to pick her up and came back to brace the old woman until her friend brought the car around.
I have never had anyone faint on me before. Today Maggie and I tried to catch the old lady as she fainted a second time on us, so we collapsed to the road side with her. I did not know what to do with a baby and an old lady, so we made our selves comfortable with our legs in the road.
2 cars slowed and offered to help but I sent them on their way. Finally a male nurse stopped and came to help. As he got out of his car he said, "I know this is embarrassing, but will you please let me help you?" I was so grateful for his training and assistance. He introduced himself to the lady on the ground and helped her in the friend's car.
This poor lady had fallen hard on a cut bush stump and bushes. I told them to be mindful of her back. I gathered up a wandering Maddux and we went on our way.
In the confusion of the moment I did not realize I had the woman's coat in our wagon. We turned around and headed back hoping to find someone who knew who they were. As we got near the friend returned looking for the coat. This is their story:
We met years ago as we were traveling the world. We met as we were going to Russia. We were meant to be sisters. No, I take that back. We would never have been as close had we been sisters. I just love her. And now she doesn't remember anything and I don't know how to help. She keeps fainting where ever we go. She lives in the assisted living center. I just don't know what to do. She is my best friend.
I am so sad for these ladies. I told her she was doing good enough just being her friend. She would know what to do.
I am sad for this elderly woman's back. As we were sitting by the road with my arm around her chest I said, "It's ok, we are doing just fine." She wanted to stand back up. She told me it was not ok, this is not ok. She was right. It is not ok to fall on a walk with your best friend. But it makes me feel better that she has a best friend.
I am grateful that Maddux did not wander in to the road as I was with the lady. I am glad neither of us were hurt as she fell the second time. I am grateful for 3 people who tried to help. So many other cars passed, but only 3 stopped. I am most grateful that I was there.
No comments:
Post a Comment