Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Sand

The morning camp fire
  Our campground was no more than a little spot of sand and slickrock (sand stone) with a vault toilet nearby. It was rudimentary but perfect for our adventuresome kids. In the picture above you can see a hill of slickrock. The kids would scurry up and over and back down with ease. Maddux followed the best he could. He fell once and narrowly missed cracking his head open. He only received a good goose egg.


There was really nothing for Maggie to do but play in the tent, the sand or be bored in her stroller. It was so hard for me to let her play in the sand! I thought Cooper was the clean person in our family, but I think I may have more issues than him. To defend myself we had no running water to clean up with. Diapers and sand are never a good fit for 2 1/2 days.

The rising sun

The days were sunny and warm in the low 70s. The two nights were freezing (low 40's). It was actually not bad snuggled in the sleeping bag with blankets. But poor Maggie and Maddux do not know how to sleep in covers yet. The first night they both woke every hour so cold they could not get back to sleep. They were both in 2 sets of snugly pajamas. We do not let our kids sleep in our bed at home so camping and trying to snuggle them warm was not what they wanted. They wanted to be alone to sleep, but then they froze. I was freezing half the night just trying to keep them warm. The second night I put Maggie in 3 pairs of pajamas plus a hoodie and sweatpants. She still woke up just as often, but was able to get back to sleep fast. I will say I never want to camp again with babies in the freezing cold. Let's keep it to warm weather.

No comments: