Thursday, October 4, 2012

NY Ragnar "Adirondacks"

Ragnar, it is the most loved and feared event I look forward to in my life right now. I keep working at becoming a runner and having these races make me happy to train. Christy put together a great team called "The Racers". 2 fun vans for 2 days running 200 miles.
 Van 1
Van 2
Thursday night we had a team dinner and meeting to prepare and coordinate.
Friday morning Van 1 (John, Sean, Christy, Leilani, Kelly and I) had a start time of 7 am, which meant out of bed by 5:15 (3:15 Utah time) and to the race start in Saratoga by 6 am. Rain was forcasted but I was not prepared for the steady RAIN, the massive puddles and mud everywhere. Poor us as we checked-in in the dark and sent Leilani on the first leg with little prep time or excitement.

My first leg was moderate, 4.2 miles through the city of Saratoga. I was running against traffic on the shoulder of a busy 4 lane main drag of town. Running in car exhaust and the wet spray off the traffic was difficult to enjoy. My body was not in to this run and it was hard. This hand off was very welcome.

Even though it was raining you were hot running, and it was muggy in the van. Oh the smells were delightful.

We went back to Christy's home between runs, ate at 5 Guys Burgers, and enjoyed hot showers and a small nap.  Here Christy and I are at Exchange 12 at Lake George. Ready for our 2nd run!
I must mention the excitement of the evening. John lost the baton slap bracelet on his second run. It was a long run and there was no way to find it. Our team let him know what a putz he was. We really were not nice. At the next exchange another team had a mock bracelet we used for the rest of the race.
Now I had stared at this page for weeks before the race. I had trained on 1800 S in Bountiful trying to get a good hill climb in. Nothing can prepare you for Ragnar. I was running 3 miles 700 feet up, and then 3 miles 800 feet down. It was a terrifying run to plan for.

Here I am suited up and waiting to go! It was about midnight and my body responded well. It might have been the terrifying road. I was in the forest on a 2 lane highway with only little orange cones warning drivers that a runner may be near. Spence had shopped around and got me the brightest head lamp. It was not cheap but worth every penny. The road lit up before me.
My legs burned on that hill, and I had to take long lunges every little bit to loosen up the knots in my calves. Reaching the top of the mountain and starting down was exhilarating. I flew down the last 3 miles and into the finish. Nothing like the pitch black, only seeing 6 runners and a few Vans passing you to make you run faster than you thought you could. And to top it off as I handed off the bracelet I was awarded a Ragnar glass cup as a RAGNAR hill finisher. Very cool.
Van 1 spent our second rest at the Ticonderoga Middle School. They were serving a fundraiser dinner. We ate then Christy, Kelly and John slept in the van while Leilani, Sean and I slept on the floor of the gym for 2 hours. We were awoken frantically that we needed to hurry to the next exchange. Van 2 was really fast in the DARK. Sean was lost without his contacts in and Christy hurried us off on our hour drive to the final exchange. Poor Leilani never had a minute to get ready as runner 1. We were so late that runner 12 decided to begin running again and we met him on the route.

My 3rd leg was fantastic. 3.3 miles on a 2 lane highway again. Within the first 1/2 mile I was passed by a runner with a good pace. I stuck to him and followed him to the finish. This kept my mind off the dark wilderness and the run was done before I knew it. My body felt great at 5 am.

After our van finished we headed to Lake Placid for breakfast at a little diner. Breakfast was unbelievable. Real food. then in the rain we waited at the finish for van 2.

 We ran in together and took team pictures. I do not have any but watch this video for the real look of what Ragnar is. Thanks Paul! 



I love that I could get away and RUN. I love that I packed really well with just the right gear. Spence is supportive and makes this possible. He lets me train mornings and afternoons and evenings. He buys me gear and cheers me on. I missed him as my driver, but he made 2 music mixes which our van listened to most of the race. When a song would come on that everyone knew the words to and we would get pumped up I would think of how cool my husband was and how I missed him. It felt like he was there cheering me on through messages.

Can't wait for the next one!

No comments: