Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Humanitarian Lady

This is my new church calling. Humanitarian Specialist. I am quickly becoming a specialist in all projects the Church is in need of for humanitarian aid.

At first I was very overwhelmed by this calling, I do have a 2 month old baby. The Relief Society Presidency wanted me to have bi-weekly activities (tying quilts or such), plus packets for the ladies to take home with them on Sunday, and work on during the week. Here is a small list of items to choose from which can be made and donated:

Quilts
Orphanage Module Items
Children's Clothing
Bibs
Receiving Blankets
Booties
Layette Gown
Clothes
Mittens
Scarves
School Bag
Wall Hanging
Toys
Fabric Activity Book
File Folder Games
Puppets
Wood animals
Dolls
Stuffed Animals

Yikes! Where do I start? I now know I am one of the luckiest ladies EVER. There are only 5 Humanitarian Centers in the USA to pick up packets with these items already compiled, just waiting to be completed, and I live 8 minutes away from one! Hooray for me! And surprisingly, I almost had ladies at church fighting over these packets (I only brought 8 packets the first Sunday to see if there was any interest). There were little old ladies who were too slow to get a packet, walking away in disappointment! Awesome, my calling should be low stress, until we get bored.


This is my front room, and will continue to be my front room for the duration of my calling:

I just realized I will be so busy distributing and planning these projects, that I will most likely have no time to work on one! I guess someone has to organize and plan. It might as well be me.

If you are interested in more info:

http://www.ldsphilanthropies.org/humanitarian-services/

2 comments:

UtahJenny said...

Dang, I am bummed I wasn't there to join in the brawl - that would have been sooooo fun! Give me a heads up next time you have a sewing project - I am LOVING my new machine!!!

Jodi said...

Way to go! You are amazing Julie! Those projects are so far over my head. Where do you learn how to make this stuff? Are the packets explicit in their instructions? I'm too intimidated to go to those activities surrounded by the pro's who sew their own clothes. At least I can rhyme. Also, I think it's great to let Coop play with friends whenever possible. Is there any other way? Where do I find kids to borrow to play with Rocky?