Thursday, February 19, 2009

Perspective

I am feeling lost. Frustrated. Pressured, over molding the perfect children who will grow into normal, happy adults. Cooper has perplexed me with his growing seperation anxiety. Savannah and Cooper both are good listeners when they want to, and tell me "No" when they are not interested. How can I have failed to raise perfect children?

I volunteered at Savannah's preschool yesterday. There is a new 3 year old boy in her class who has Autism. The teachers are in the process of teaching him the class schedule, and keeping him on task. It was overwhelming. At recess, one teacher jokingly said, "Can I have a valium?" We all laughed, but it felt true. It was exausting!

Perspective. My children have the ability to learn behavior. They have the potential to function in normal social settings. I have so much to be grateful for. All us parents who have gone to Primary Childrens Hospital, and seen the children at registration, who are signing in for their chemotherapy have that grateful feeling. It could be so much harder. Things are not perfect for me, but they are not hopeless.

I have good kids, they just need more guidance.



My most obedient child, reading his favorite book, The itsy bitsy Spider.

5 comments:

Kim & Campbell said...

You have great children. No matter how wonderful you are at parenting I think you always feel there are things to do and ways to improve. Obvioulsy you are doing a great job, you kids are fun, happy and so capable!

The Prigmore Family said...

We have that same book! Even after working with a million kids with autism and different disabilities for two years it still is hard for me to have perspective. That's why I'm always reading books that make me appreciate what I have. I am one of those who needs to be reminded how good I have it, compared to most.
You are a great mom and your kids are wonderful and no one is perfect so how can you expect to raise the perfect child? I think its great that your expectations are so high, it means you are a great mom! I am constantly impressed that you have THREE kids and love all of them and haven't thrown any in the dumpster. Seriously. I could never raise three kids. You rule.

UtahJenny said...

Perspective is very important ... and even though I spend a lot of time worrying if I am doing everything I can to help them grown into good, responsible adults, I have to remember to step back and just be grateful. They are good kids.

And aren't we ever so grateful for those wonderfully obedient babies!!!

Jason and Audrey said...

Julie, I hear ya. Raising kids is tough. Seeing them be like me (the good, bad and ugly,) Is a bit scary!! You are awesome...dkon't let the day to day get you down!!!

Richard and Marianne said...

Julie, you are doing a great job and are a dedicated Mom! You won't go wrong as long as your children KNOW and can feel your LOVE for them. One of my favorite sayings goes something like this, (cuz my memory is not perfect): "Your children will not remember WHAT you said to them, but they WILL remember how you made them FEEL." I tried to live by that with you kids. Love you, Mom