Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Maddux's Melon


This is the latest scan of Maddux's head. The red line is from May, and the blue is August. We have finally seen progress! The Cephalic Ratio (difference of length and width) has gone from 99.9% to 96%!!! We were told the best results from wearing the orthosis (helmet) would be 92%. We are slowly on our way there. (the average baby's head is between 82-86%)


We saw the cranial facial plastic surgeon today. He said Maddux could wear the helmet 23 hrs a day for one more month, and then only at night for the 4th month. There is a chance that Maddux could out grow the helmet, and then we would be finished. I was under the impression we were working toward a normal head shape. I was surprised to be told that we could be done so soon, with so little progress made.


Looking at this scan of Maddux's head, I am discouraged. Getting the helmet was the right choice because we prevented even more flattening and widening, but I feel we missed his big growth spurts. His head has gotten rounder, but there are no dramatic results. We have come as far as possible with the help of conventional medicine. Spence's cousin who is a chiropractor suggested we get Maddux adjusted, and then visit a Cranial sacral Therapist. I am willing to try anything right now. I am in need of a good referral suggestion.

Some helmet stories:

On Sunday an older gentleman asked how Maddux injured his head. I am assuming he thought the helmet was a cast or for protection. I explained he was not injured, but it was for reshaping.


In a grocery store a little girl stopped, pointed and exclaimed, "Look Mommy, that baby has a bucket on his head! It is like a fishing pond!" This is my favorite commentary yet.
Many people have stopped me to share their stories of family members who have had a helmet. There is a common theme of, "It really helped, and they have round heads now." I know it is meant to comfort and support me, but is just is annoying. At swimming lessons a fellow swimming student grandparent approached my Mother-in-law to share his story of a grand child with a helmet. Also at swimming lessons a fellow Mom approached me and asked where I got the helmet. I was so confused, wondering if she knew what it was for. It turned out that her husband is an Orthotist, and she wanted to know if he made it for us.
Everybody wants to know how long he has to wear it. That is an equally challenging question. I used to explain and share details, but now I do not care. No one really needs to understand the helmet, just that it is for reshaping and will be worn until we are happy with the results. And for now, it has become a part of Maddux. What will I do when we are done and I have to comb his thick hair!

1 comment:

Jeff & Melissa said...

Don't be discouraged, at least he has gotten results! I know it must be difficult for random people to come up to you and ask questions or tell their stories. Just keep reminding yourself that in their crazy heads, they actually think they are helping :)