One reason Savannah loved the black-footed cat and golden lion tamarin is because she could see them. The zoo is always a bit of an emotional downer for me. I forget all of Savannah's limitations until I am presented with them. Sometimes if we are driving in the car, Cooper will point out what he is looking at that is passing by. Savannah will chime in and say she saw it also. She did not, but she wants to be included.
At the Zoo, I pointed at the sleeping cougar and asked if she could see it. Of course she said yes. When I asked a detailed question she quickly looked all over trying to answer, but was unable to. My fear was confirmed, she could not find the sleeping cougar, 10 feet in front of us. This became our game with every animal. I WANT her to see every animal. I want to make sure she is having the same experience. At every animal exhibit I would point out the animal, then ask a simple question; what color is his ears, what is he scratching, what is it doing, who is taller? If she answered right I was happy, if she answered wrong I felt pain.
When does being a parent get easier? I am so grateful Savannah is a happy hyper 4 year old who can get by with the vision she has right now. I pray as she gets older and her abilities are challenged I can handle the struggle with strength.
5 comments:
You'll do awesome with her Julie, you always do! She will appreciate all that you do for her and will admire your strength and determination in helping her through life.
Now that things are finally calming down we need to get the kids together to play.
It is painful to realize she is not experiencing life the same as you or other children around her but she IS happy and well-adjusted, and loved. And you can help her "see" what you see when you describe the colors, happenings, etc. I know, not the same; but she will develop her other senses beyond ours and be able to experience things we can't. :) Love you so much I feel like crying with you, Mom.
You're an awesome mom Julie, you constantly amaze me. Your mom is right, she looks so happy and I know you'll be there for her every step of the way!
We went on Thursday. It was so fun, huh? The baby elephant and mother were mesmerizing! We watched them for sooo long! I forgot to take a single picture of them cuz i was so busy watching! Soooo cute! Elephants and monkeys are my favorite animals!
By the way, I had no idea that her vision was so limited! You are such a wonderful mother! Finding Joy in the journey is the hard part in life, and she is finding it with the help of YOU, so don't get discouraged.
Post a Comment