Sunday, February 1, 2009

Sunday Night Blues

I don't know why, but I am always stressed Sunday night. The upcoming work load for the new week is always daunting. When Cooper was a newborn I would cry, knowing Spence would be back at work the next morning, and I would be lonely at home with a demanding baby. Now I stress over waking up bright and early to get the kids ready for school. I hate making breakfast, and I always wonder what I will give the kids for breakfast, to make sure their tummies are not grumbling at school. Last week Cooper had chicken nuggets everyday because I hate cooking breakfast! Poor malnourished kids.

The weight of responsibility rests on my shoulders every Sunday night. But Monday morning I am always over it and ready for a morning of just Maddux and I to run errands, go to the gym, or clean the house. This week feels especially hard because it is SEP week. It is parent teacher conferences, meaning Cooper is home 40 minutes early, meaning school is 2 hours long. This means Cooper is bored and wants a friend or entertainment for that many more minutes of the day. It is exhausting, wanting your kids to be happy.

My questions tonight are: Do you also feel like this Sunday night? Is this a normal weekly routine for us all?

And: Is it appropriate to have your kid play with a friend every day, or do they need structured activities guided by the parent? When I was 5, I played everyday with my best friend next door. If I was raised as a hooligan, roaming the neighborhood, isn't this OK for my child?

I wish you all a happy week, and pray that I will survive mine!

2 comments:

Mary said...

I feel exactly the same way on Sunday evenings. Especially if my house isn't exactly in order! I feel torn between keeping the Sabbath Day and making myself feel better for Monday morning. Also - I say let Cooper play with friends. Social experience is priceless!

I hope you have a great MONDAY and a great week!

UtahJenny said...

A hooligan - giggle giggle - I am sure you are not! I played with friends all the time, but my kids don't seem to have that luxury - their friends live so far away we are lucky to get in one play date a week. However, they are so close and play together so well, they don't seem to be too deprived.

As for the depression thing, I don't have that Sunday night occurance, probably because I have embraced my mediocrity ;) and somehow my kids are still alive and somewhat happy!