Tuesday, April 14, 2009

6:45 am

This is what time we discovered a burst pipe outside under our deck. This is what time we awoke confused as to what kind of water was Flooding our driveway, backyard and basement, and how to turn it OFF. We quickly determined it was Weber Irrigation water which had been turned on and reached full pressure today! After some confusion we called our reliable 70 something year old neighbor, John, who just happened to be going in for cataract surgery this morning, to help us turn off the water at the street. When he and Spence were unable to, we had the city water department to our house by 7:15 am to STOP the flood! Man, are we glad we live a block away from their location.

Cooper was so funny. He was so unnerved by the commotion. He wavered between tears, thinking we were going to be homeless, and kept insisting we pray. Good brave boy. He ended up with a tummy ache and saying, "I think I am going to throw up." Poor anxiety ridden child. It did not help that Savannah woke up confused and was wandering around in her underwear, looking for Mom and Dad.

We were lucky that the water pouring in from the toy room basement window only saturated 60 square feet of carpet, and the rest was running under the wall to the laundry room and down the drain.


I am terrified of mold, and Spence and I did not want to spend our day locating fans and high powered shop vacs, so we called Utah Disaster Kleenup (our insurance deductible is higher than the cost to take care of it ourselves). By 10 am they had cleaned up the mess, and left us with a dehumidifier,



2 fans



and a nice vapor barrier.

Our basement is now covered in the many contents of the toy room and filled with the sweet hum of industrial strength fans. Ok, it is so loud I cannot hear myself type this. On the bright side it will only be like this for 3 days max. I can handle this. It is not like we lost the entire contents of our home to a sewer back-up. Just a fake, lame, PVC pipe burst flood. Although I never knew how much water could shoot out of a burst pipe.

Savannah is excited because toys which had been hidden away have been unearthed. She is in toy heaven. And she found a caterpillar in a drying muddy puddle outside. It already has a home in a bucket on the kitchen counter. I am sure he will be named by lunch.

Anyone want to invite us over for a playdate this week?

5 comments:

UtahJenny said...

Oh heavens ... what a fun way to wake up ... I am always worried about that Weber water turn on day, so sorry it happened to you! You are always welcome to play here ... we don't have anything going on tomorrow and I know a little boy who would be thrilled to entertain his future wife! ;)

Marci said...

YIKES, what a nightmare! You are welcome to come play at my place anytime, even if you don't have a torn up basement.:) I am much much better and Ava has a cough but no more fever. Just give me a day or two to sanitize everything. How about Friday? If you are a germaphobe like me we could go to a park.
P.S. You are so right, mold is way scary.

Quiggle said...

For the love! Flooding freaks me out. I think it's the mold thing too! You guys handled it really well. Way to go. I love that Sav was wandering in her undies.

Linda Winegar said...

Smack! So sorry to hear that. I guess everything happens for a reason and Savvy is reaping the rewards. :) Mold is way tooooo scary, so glad you had the pros take care of it. I am seriously always so impressed by your ability to read a ton of books. I don't know how you can manage everything. You're a supermom! Love ya.

Savage Family said...

OH no!!! You just can't seem to move far enough to get away from the flooding!! I am sorry!!!