Thursday, July 30, 2009

The Curse of Scout Camp

We were doing so well. I had been thinking about the curse, but refused to acknowledge or speak it's existence. Well, it hit. (for a refresher of the last 3 curses click here)


We had a lazy morning swimming with Jaime and her son Luke (a good friend since 3rd grade). We had just come in for lunch. I was quickly showering the kids, and sending them on their way to get dressed. Savannah was bundled in a towel, slipped and face planted on the travertine tile. Her lip was split in two, just that fast.


Now, we all know that injuries never look as good in pictures. It looked so bad, it was gaping open. This picture is when it had already swelled in to a fat lip, and the split was swelling shut. The last time Savannah needed stitches, we went to urgent care. NEVER take your child to any one but a pediatrician or Children's. They do not care what scar they leave behind. So I was intent on getting a plastic surgeon this time to avoid certain disfigurement. Off we went to Rady Children's Hospital with my Mom, leaving Jaime and Stacy with a hungry brood of children.


I was so glad to be right. One look at this lip, and the plastic surgeon was called. It took over 3 hours to be admitted, receive an IV, be hooked up to 3 monitors, and wait for our turn.




Grandma was so helpful staying with Savy while I did paperwork, cried and got it together. The most unbelievable part of the experience: This is a teaching hospital. I had a training EMT try to put in Savy's IV. After digging around in her arm searching for a blood vein for at least a minute, he failed, and the nurse had it in less than 3 seconds. Let the EMT practice on some other kid please? (Plastic surgeons will only work on kids sedated, thus the IV)



5-6 stitches, steri-strips, a very loopy Savannah, and 5 1/2 hours later, we are discharged and sent home. You might think it ends there, but it keeps up. Savannah vomited in the car seat, 2 more times on the couch, and so far only once in bed. Will I get any sleep tonight between her and a congested Maddux? I doubt it. The relieving news, Spence left Scout Camp 2 days early and should be here tomorrow night. How do single parents do it!

I am so happy it was only her lip. Here teeth are still intact. I am also Thankful for Health Insurance. Most of all I am thankful for a watchful and merciful Heavenly Father. A heaven sent hospital volunteer came by with her cart of activities. Without speaking to us she picked out crayons and pictures for Savannah to color. How did she know Savy is obsessed with coloring? It cured her panicky crying and helped pass the time. It touched my heart. We are so blessed to have a loving Father who knows our needs and helps my child in a time of need.

4 comments:

Megs said...

Oy. Poor Savy and poor you! And just when her face was healing up! :) Good luck with everything. I'm shooting prayers and good, non-cursed vibes your way.

Jeff & Melissa said...

Oh no! Glad everything turned out okay and that Spence is on his way...how fast things can change!

Marci said...

Ahh, how horrible for both of you! Maybe Spence needs a different calling. Seriously, that is too weird! I hope the rest of trip is a blast!

Niki said...

I'm so sorry that happened but I'm glad you got the plastic surgeon and Super Spence is on the way. Hang in there. Wish I could have been there with you and Jaime in the pool. It looks like you guys had fun.