We have great friends who let me pick the last of their Cataba Grapes. Last year I made Concord Grape Jelly. This year we were given Cataba. They have more of a sour taste and are this lovely red. Here you can see the color difference between concord and cataba.
Coop and Sav helped sort the grapes while Spence was at Scouts. I then steamed the grapes when they went to bed. At 10 pm the juice was ready. Spence and I began to carefully bottle the juice when the valve broke off the pot and the boiling juice began to spray over the kitchen floor! We frantically put on hot pad mitts and filled 6 quart bottles one after another. It was terribly hilarious after we nursed our burns and had the lids screwed on.
The next morning Ashley came over and we made 3 batches of jelly. It only took us about 2 1/2 hours.
Canning is always fun when I have these 2 moneys under foot.
The next day while visiting John and Mary I noticed the neighbors apple tree. I was told they were not picking them this year. Lisa and Cory let us pick some apples. Friday night during the BYU game Ashley and I made 2 batches of apple pie filling. We were so tired after a long day and 5 hours of picking, peeling and canning apples we quit for the day. Saturday I finished up with one more batch. We have 23 quarts of pie filling. I now need to make an apple crisp to see how they are! I really do love taking fresh produce and bottling it for later. Why does it have to be so exhausting! My ancestors were tough women to do this every year.
11-2: I made an Apple Crisp Pie. Pie crust, one quart pie filling, and Apple Crisp Crumble topping! The apples were just right and the filling held it's shape! Served warm over vanilla ice cream with whipped cream on top. Soo good. I am excited.


3 comments:
I am always so amazed and impressed with your cooking skills and determination!
It was so fun hanging out with you that day!! I loved it!
Wow! So much work but it is totally worth it in the end
Post a Comment